Friday, February 3, 2012

Remembering dances long ago


Well, it supposed to rain today! Yay! But so far we have had nary a drop! They are forecasting flash floods tonight. I hope they are right.
It feels so good to have that heavy boot off my foot. But it still hurts to walk on it. I went to the Dollar Store yesterday afternoon for some things ( I rather go there than to HEB...it is so big and crowded and hard to find a parking space). When I got home, Julie was supposed to be ready and we were going to the Floresville Opry at 5:00 to get a good table. It was to start at 6:00. Janie came to our house to go with us, and when we got there at 5:00 we still couldn't find a table near the dance floor. We like to watch the country western dancers! Margaret got there late, about 6:20 and our friends Lee Schultz and Dee Day, and a couple of their friends got there about 5 after 6:00. We had such a good time. There were 7 of us. Janie, and the other two couples really had a good time. We left about 8:15 because we wanted to go the tail end of Pastor Bennie's birthday party and the church.
We got home around 9:30 and although we were happy and contented after having such a good time, I was extremely tired, and my foot hurt so badly. I immediately went to bed! Left Julie up to do her usual ritual before going to bed. Jack can't jump up on her bed, after his surgery, so she put his "doggie bed" by her bed on the floor and he was content and slept there all night. He is such a good dog. Sweet.
It was so nice to see all my friends from the Historical Society last night. It has been almost 3 months since I have seen most of them. It was at our meeting in Nov. l love history, so I missed seeing my friends who have the same interest I do. Last night at the Opry, while listening to the singers and the music, I got pretty nostalgic at times...remember my younger days, in my teens and when I used to love to listen to those old songs they sang last night. "Westfalia Waltz", "I Love You Because" by Leon Payne, "I Fall to Pieces", "Crazy Arms" and "Cold Cold Heart" (was that by Patsy Cline?)> and two of my favorites, "Jackson" and "Your Cheating Heart"...and April Hall and this guy from the band sang "Jackson" almost as good as Johnny and Julie Carter Cash did.
Margaret and I sat there and reminisced the times we used to dance to those old tunes with our husbands, Eddie and Johnny ...the Wauson Brothers. They liked to dance too.
When the band started playing the Cotton-eyed Joe, and the Schottish, two of me and Margaret's old time favorite dances, I remembered the fun times we used to have dancing those dances, and also my kiddos and their kiddos, my grandchildren, love to dance.
At times sitting there listening to the music and songs and watching the people dancing the waltz, two steps and polkas, I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, as I remembered the good times.





No comments:

Post a Comment