Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Time to Rest


A TIME TO REST

I think God is speaking to us these days about rest. Everywhere I go or talk to someone, they tell me about working so hard without rest. The job is so important and they are needed there. I talked to a friend who lives back in my hometown of Hurst on the phone the other day, who works at Daystar Television. She is in the prayer ministry – she may be the one who prays for you when you call for prayer. She and I used to be prayer partners. When she prays for you – you know God hears. She has been working long hours for weeks and months. She needs a rest; she wants a day of rest to not do anything – but fun and relaxing things. But there are so many things that needed done at home.

Then my son who works in construction  - remodeling people’s homes- was saying he has been working too hard, and needs a rest. They have not had a vacation in three years. They just need to take a weekend off and go somewhere and do nothing but rest. His wife and he work very hard. When you have your own business is usually a 24-hour-a -day thing.

I have several other loved ones who work very hard. They all need a rest. In this economy people sometimes are working two or three jobs!


Well, so God has been bombarding me with words for these people. Everything I read, or receive in emails, or watch on TV…is about taking time to rest.

My friend in Hurst said last weekend their pastor, Robert Morris of Gateway Church, had an awesome sermon about taking time to rest. She sent me the link to the sermon.  I listened to his sermon on the Internet. It was awesome! He said the bible in Exodus, where Moses reads the Ten Commandments on the stone tablet, says the 4th commandment is “Keep the Sabbath keep it Holy”. That means you shouldn’t do any work on the Sabbath. Whether your Sabbath is a Saturday, or even a Wednesday or any day of the week, you should do something for fun, relax, turn you cell phone off, or don’t answer the phone. Play games with your kids, just have a relaxing day that does not have to do anything with work. He has learned to do that. This is a day for him to rest and do something for fun.

I keep hearing praise and worship songs that talk about just resting and resting in God’s presence and soaking in His love.

He wrote this:
“I'm not saying to drop everything. There is a season of accomplishment, but there is also a season of rest and there is a season of evaluation. Understand that five times zero is still zero. Some things are not worth doing even if you can do them five times faster. So I threw away my to-do list. Maybe if it's not important enough to remember, it may not be important enough to do. I turned off my computer and took a golf lesson.”

Even God rested -
And on the seventh day God ended His work. He rested on the seventh day from all His work, which He had done. Genesis 2:2

There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Hebrews 4: 9-10

Well, I think my time of rest has come. I am so glad I don’t have to go to work anywhere. I am so blessed  - I have several Sabbath days every week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment