Friday, February 14, 2014

The winter is past

 After several weeks or months of cold, rainy, freezing weather, with cloudy skies, the last few days have warm, and sunny, temperatures in the 70s and 80's. I wonder what it means.

For lo, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone.
12 The flowers appear on the earth;
The time of singing has come,
And the voice of the turtledove
Is heard in our land. (Song. of Songs 2:11,12)

Everything still looks dead and cold out there.
But there is hope for tomorrow. 
We are enjoying watching the Winter Olympics this week. I really have gotten fond of the Americans on the teams! Those young people make me wish i was young again! And it made me think of the time I went with some friends to Boulder Colorado one December, to see a friend as a surprise for her birthday, her husband arranged it as a surprise. it was a fun week seeking out fun things to do in Boulder and then I stayed longer and Mary and I went walking in the snow storm several blocks behind their house, where there was a hill. Carrying sleds ...the round ones...and she dared me to go down the hill on that sled. I did it. It was so much fun, especially for an old lady like me...I think I was 67 that year! I will have to find the pictures she took of me!
So, I have pretty much staying home in the icy weather, but then I had to go to the doctor here, to the labs, then i had to go to the hospital for a mammogram and bone density tests, and to my dentist in San Antonio.
But that day it was cold and rainy, and I dreaded going but i did. I got home safe as you can see now! ha.
Last week we were so sad because my sister, Liz (or as I call her, Sis), passed away and we had her visitation on Friday night in San Antonio, and her funeral/celebration service Saturday in San Antonio. The only thing happy about it was I got to see my children Derek and Lil Red, and Kristi and Chuck, who I love so much, and don't get to see a lot. 
I have been reading a lot of books, these days, I just got through reading The Blue Bottle Club, for the second time in 10 years. What a good book! I would recommend it to all my women friends and family and loved ones...It is not a love story, but a story of 4 teenaged girls putting their dreams of hopes for the future down on paper, then putting them in a blue bottle on Christmas Day, 1929, and hiding it in a crack up in the attic. They forget about it, mainly because of the Crash of Wall Street that happened later that year, and then all of them gradually went their separate ways...and then someone found the bottle in 1994, (a destruction crew that was demolishing the house then). and this girl...a reporter for the local TV station, was give the bottle by the worker and was fascinated by what she found when she found a way to open it and read all their desires and plans for the future, when the graduated. So she began to search for the women...after 65 years had past, she just prayed a few of them were still alive.
Wonderful story. 
So today, I am going to try to see if I can talk to an old man, that my publisher wants me to do a story on, who is 90 years old, and an artist who studied art in Chicago many years ago..now lives in Floresville alone...right near our house. I need to get ready to go, make sure my tape player has batteries, and hope I find him home. 
More later today!




No comments:

Post a Comment