Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tim Tebow vs. Roger Staubach


Tim Tebow vs. Roger Staubach

I have always been a sports fan since I was a young girl on the farm. I was athletic (voted most athletic girl my senior year in high school), a tomboy (I could throw a hay bale on the wagon right along with my brothers and daddy).

And played on our country softball team at Kasper School (one of just two girls on the team of boys). If you want to read the whole story, read the chapter called “Sports and Softball Dreams in my book “Rainy Days and Starry Nights.”

I have followed football - high schools, college and Pro football all my life. I still do.

So last Sunday I was watching TV, the Denver Broncos playing the Pittsburg Steelers. What a game! When Pittsburg tied the game and they had to go into overtime I was heartbroken. See, I am a Denver football fan. When the cowboys are not playing, I like Denver. Mainly I like watching Tim Tebow. What a quarterback! And what an example of a man! Reminds me of Roger Staubach. Even though Staubach doesn't talk often about his faith, he is a Christian and a good moral man, worthy of having your sons look up to him.

Tebow comes from a strong Christian family, having been raised in a missionary family. He believes in God and only wants to give glory to God. He doesn’t believe in giving glory to Him if they win, just for guiding him and helping him do what he does and doing it well.

Well I was sorta nervous, in one way I was thinking, after they won the toss and was to receive, they can do this! But then I was chicken and was afraid to watch it. I am not a good loser. I want to win. So when Pittsburg lined up to kick off, I didn’t want to watch. I was a coward. So I turned to another channel!

And everyone knows what happened! I missed it! On the first play, Tebow threw a long pass to Demaryius Thomas and Thomas caught the ball, for an 80-yard touchdown to win the game! I was so mad at myself! Why didn’t I trust Tebow enough to believe he could do it? I would have never turned the TV off if that had been Roger Staubach! I never ever doubted he could save the Cowboys. He always did too!

Maybe because Roger was older than Tebow is now? I don’t know. He seems so young. If he does as well this Sunday, maybe I won’t turn the game off in the future when it is a close game. Right now, my heart just can’t take it. But maybe God won’t mind if I pray that Tim Tebow throws another “hail-Mary” pass like he did Sunday to win the game”.

No comments:

Post a Comment