Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I love a small town

It’s time to get to work on a story. I have many notes, and a tape to listen to this morning. Yesterday I decided to stop by Lillie & Liborio Ortiz house in the old Lodi neighborhood near here. I had met them when Liz Lopez and I tried to find the gravesites of the Trial family in Old Lodi. (Remember we found it and took pictures?). My grandparents used to live in the old Trial home for about 10 years in the early 1900's.

She took me by to meet the Ortiz family that day. They have been in the El Mesias Methodist church all their lives! They are in their sixties. They were so happy to see me! They remembered me. They are so sweet and friendly! I just love them. I wanted to interview Lillie by herself, so we went into their living room. Periodically she had to call Liborio in there to ask a question. That was such a sweet visit, and I found out her aunt and uncle live on the Business loop 181 (which we live on), farther north from here, and they are in their 90’s. I have to visit them and interview them sometimes.

I spent over 2 hours with the sweet couple and even got to meet a man who had come to visit them, who is 85 years old and still goes to El Mesias Methodist church and is very active in it. Then Liz Lopez came by to visit, and I got to visit with her some more. She is the historian of the church (which was founded by my grandfather Zook in 1908). Also she works with the youth in the church! She is a very busy woman, with several children and grandchildren!


In my quest for how her life was when she was little, I found out Lillie’s mother died when Lillie was 1 year old. She had a sister 2 yrs. and a brother 3 yrs. Her mother was only 21. She was raised by her grandparents. She said she doesn’t know how her mother died. She was told she was very depressed and didn’t get out of bed and didn’t want to eat. Probably post-partum depression. How sad! In those days they didn’t know what to do for that. It breaks my heart to think about that. So, I got her whole story, and now I am going to listen to the tape and write it today.

A few minutes ago, Julie and Liz and I had a prayer meeting for Angel Herrera, the pastor’s daughter. They now know that it is a staph infection and she still is in great pain and now has started throwing up. Jeanette is asking everyone to pray …and pray at 7 PM tonight in unity for her. I think she is very scared. So anyone who reads this will you please stop and pray for Angel? My heart hurts for Jeanette, because I know what it is like when your daughter is critically ill in a hospital. You are in shock.

On a brighter note: I’m going to Poth to meet Bob tonight to watch the Poth girls play volleyball. Yay. They are still undefeated in district play. We are hoping they make it to State again. I am praying for a safe trip there and back…even if it is only 5 miles to Poth!! I don’t drive at night very often!

No comments:

Post a Comment