Sunday, October 30, 2011

Leaves of gold



Words are powerful things and they can do wonderful things, but they can also do hurtful things. Words well spoken can be like leaves of gold. I hope and pray I can stand on these words, “A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart.” (Luke 6:45)


When one is worried about something he is afraid, apprehensive, bothered, concerned, distracted, distraught, distressed, disturbed, fearful, frightened, uneasy, uptight, upset…and my Thesaurus goes on and on.


I fool myself if I tell myself I am not worried about such-and-such – my health, my children, grandchildren, my finances, family matters, friends, and all sorts of things – and if I say I have faith that every thing is going to work out the way it should – but still talk about the situation to people around me all the time, saying “I am not worried, but – “.

So why am I talking about it? If I turn it over to God, why do I still have to talk about it?

I was just thinking, why do I do that and why do I hear people talk that way? Words are so important, they can either be positive or negative.

I guess it is because we lie to ourselves that we trust God. I think it a negative thing, to always talk about things that are worrying us…oh, I am not worried…I am just bothered…uptight…upset…concerned.... same thing, isn't it?

So after all these years of worrying, fretting, being distraught, etc, I have learned not to talk about those things that are “worrying” me. If I really trust that God is going to work everything out for good, I don’t want to speak those negative things out into the air, words that go on forever and ever, negative words that pierce the heart.

I want to be an encourager, to speak words that uplift, lighten the hearts and give people hope and I want to see the person as God sees them.

Jonathan Edwards, a theologian in the 1700’s, said in a sermon called “Out of the heart, the mouth speaks” said “Words not thought out before spoken can cause you to veer off the path of righteous ways of being and doing. Often times, words are spoken in relation to observations made about circumstances and situations you encounter. Just because something looks one way on the surface doesn’t mean it is as it seems or that it has to stay the same. Choose not to come into agreement with visible negative facts but release the truth of My Word (God’s Word) over the situation or person. Let the inherent power of My Word (God’s Word) have its way. Agree with Me (God) and not supposed facts.”

No comments:

Post a Comment