Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A starry night in Texas







It was about dark Friday evening and Gerry and I sat in Scott and Karen's cabin around the kitchen table at Criders on the Frio River in Concan. Scott was cooking for tomorrow's breakfast, preparing the potatoes that was going into the sausage, egg & potato casserole he was gong to make. He had informed us that he had a surprise for everyone later on that night. He wouldn't even give a hint. Then he said it was in the freezer and he would get it out about 8:00 or 8;30 and show us. We were not to look in the freezer!!

At about 8:15 he reached in the freezer and got a bag of frozen hash-brown potatoes...and said, "Well here it is! The last bag of hash-browns that I have to cook!"

We sat there dumbfounded! That was not a surprise. That Scott Zook. Scott roared with laughter and we laughed too.
Just like a Zook to pull a stunt like that, I thought. That was not too funny.

About 20 minutes later, Gerry walked over to their cabin, and I was out on the porch at our cabin, and I saw a car coming in the area and stop. The driver rolled down the window and Gerry walked up to him, and I heard Gerry scream! Who was it? I ran over to the car, and then I saw Rusty, my nephew from Phoenix in the car! Then the other doors opened and there stood Jade, his daughter and his fiancee Lali! We had no idea they were coming. Rusty wanted to surprise everyone! Scott and Karen knew, but they had kept it a secret. That was Scott's suprise. It wasn't the potatoes after all!!

They parked the car and all got out. There were Jade's two little boys, Tristan and Gabe too. What a joyous time we all had hugging and kissing, and hugging and kissing some more! We had not seen Rusty for 3 years, and Jade since she was a little tiny girl. And we finally got to meet Lali who we all knew only on Facebook! She was as beautiful in person as she is in pictures. Inside and out! And Jade has grown up into such a beautiful wife and mother and especially a woman!

And Joshua, Rusty's son, was so overjoyed because he had not see in daddy and sister in so long. He was crying tears of joy. It was a happy time for all the family.

The evening meal was heavenly, hamburgers and hot dogs cooked by Scott on the grill outside and my hamburger was just the way I like it; Thick meat, melted cheese, onions, tomatoes, pickles, lettuce between a bun, I ate the whole thing! O and I forgot to mention with the hamburger I drank the most amazing cold beer...I forgot the name, Beverly gave it to me, I think it was called Octoberfest or something like that.

The stars that night were big and bright. We all went out to look up in the dark sky covered with millions of stars, and the Milky Way was so bright it was like a brilliant sparkling white gold carpet across the sky from end to end. The stars were so close I could almost touch them. Some of them were so big!!!

Then about 11:30 two cars drove into the area and there were my other kids!!! Kristi, her friend, Chuck, and then Taylor, Brett, and their little kiddos, Zayne and Dylan, and Jessica and her little boy Ayden. My heart was swelled with love and joy. My cup runneth over! They had driven from Ft. Worth, and had finally gotten there! More hugging and kissing, and surprised reunions with loved ones...Kristi was so happy to see her cousins ...Beverly, Yvonne, Rusty, Scott, Cindy, and Steve...who were all still awake....I finally went to bed about 12:30 am, and Kristi and her crew went on to their cabins to rest and put the kids to bed...but I think the cousins sat out in the dark talking till 2:00 am.

And that was just the first day of the reunion. Lots happened to make it a very full day!
And we still had Saturday ahead of us! I was too excited to go to sleep that night! My mind kept going over everything that transpired. I was glad to be alive. Finally I fell asleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment